Your home is your castle. It is where you are most comfortable and feel the most secure. When disaster hits your home, it is upsetting and can make your life chaotic and unsettled. The last thing that you need is to deal with your homeowner’s insurance company whose goal is to either find a way to deny your insurance claim or pay you less than you need to return your home to its pre-loss condition. In these stressful times, it is important to have someone by your side that you can count on to make sure you are fully compensated for the damage to your home.

What types of claims are covered by my homeowners’ insurance policy?

If you are currently paying a mortgage for your home, then it is almost certainly insured by what is called an HO-3 policy. This homeowners’ insurance policy is what is referred to as an “all risks policy” meaning that it covers all causes of loss unless it is specifically excluded. Some examples of losses that are covered by your homeowners’ insurance policy are:

  • water damage caused by plumbing leaks, sink backups, water supply line failures and air conditioning leaks;
  • interior ceiling damage from roof leaks;
  • chipped tile;
  • windstorm damage;
  • storm damage;
  • mold;
  • fire;
  • theft; and
  • vandalism.

Just because you do not have an HO-3 policy does not mean that your loss is not covered. Please consult with an insurance attorney in order to determine what type of coverage you have.

When should I contact an attorney?

Immediately. Under the terms and conditions of your homeowners’ insurance policy, you are required to take certain actions (“post loss conditions”) following a loss and the failure to comply with these post loss conditions could jeopardize your insurance coverage. Those post loss conditions may include some or all of the following:

  • providing prompt notice to your insurer;
  • taking steps to prevent further damages (referred to as mitigating damages);
  • making your home available for inspection;
  • providing a recorded statement; and
  • providing an Examination Under Oath.

The information gathered by your insurance company will be used in denying your claim or denying you the compensation you deserve. You are entitled to representation during this time and it is important to have someone by your side looking out for your best interests.

How much will it cost me?

Nothing. There is no cost unless we recover money for you. In addition, should it be necessary to pursue your rights through litigation, Florida statutes provide for the recovery of attorneys’ fees and costs directly from your insurance company.

If your home has suffered damage, then I encourage you to consult with a Ft. Lauderdale insurance lawyer to pursue your rights under your insurance policy. An insurance lawyer should provide you with a free consultation.

If you would like a free consultation, then please contact my office at (954)509-3826 or fill out the consultation form and my office will contact you.